The Fearless Baker: Simple Secrets for Baking Like a Pro

The Fearless Baker: Simple Secrets for Baking Like a Pro

Hardcover – Illustrated, October 24, 2017
384
English
0544791436
9780544791435
24 Oct
Top food stylist and popular baking columnist shares her baking secrets.When people see Erin McDowell frost a perfect layer cake, weave a lattice pie crust, or pull a rich loaf of brioche from the oven, they often act as though performed culinary magic. not a baker,they tell her. But in fact, expert baking is not at all unattainable, nor is it as inflexible as most people assume. The key to freedom is to understand the principles behind how ingredients interact and how classic methods work. Once these concepts are mastered, favorite recipes can be altered and personalized almost endlessly.With the assurance born out of years of experience, McDowell shares insider tips and techniques that make desserts taste as good as they look. With recipes from flourless cocoa cookies and strawberry-filled popovers (easy), through apple cider pie and black-bottom (medium), to a statuesque layer cake crowned with caramelized popcorn (difficult), and make-ahead sidebars with each recipe, this exciting, carefully curated collection will appeal to beginning and experienced bakers alike. The paragraph on page 18 is a continuation of the paragraph on page 15 on leavening agents. pages 16 and 17 are on different information (eggs and sugar) and are a different color to indicate they are extra information

Reviews (208)

Jam-packed with interesting desserts and great advice

Sometimes a cookbook comes along and completely surprises you. I confess, I had low expectations for this cookbook. Not because I don't love Food52 or Erin's writing, but because it's difficult to do this kind of "instructive baking for the home cook" well. I've purchased a lot of duds that skewed towards too simple/dumbed down and/or too boring (the world needs only so many recipes for the basic sugar cookie, brownie, yellow cake, etc). Erin's cookbook is everything an informative cookbook needs to be for the home baker. Inside this squat but many-paged tome, Erin has included recipes for a few basics, along with explanations for why they work (like the high ratio cake - aka why commercial bakeries use shortening in their cakes and why you might want to too). Beyond explanations of recipes themselves, this book is stuffed with tips for keeping your brown sugar soft, fixing a broken buttercream, etc as well as lengthy explanations and detailed photos for different pie crust styles, lattice weaves, weighing out crumb crusts for your pan size, etc. The vast majority of Erin's recipes are either a spin on well loved classics or something you're unlikely to find in most/any other baking cookbook. I'm not sure I'll ever try her lemon-licorice meringue pie, but only because I'm not sure I like licorice that much. Her peppermint fluff cupcakes and butterscotch blondies however are going to become a part of my baking rotation. What I like: Clear recipe writing Interesting recipes Beautiful pictures of everything Great advice and explanations about why things are done a certain way What I don't like: I wish the book were a little taller, so more of the recipe fit on a single page What I've made: Butterscotch blondies Apricot cream cake Peppermint devil's food high hat cupcakes Verdict: If I had to pick only three dessert cookbooks, this one would make the cut

I love the way this is written and the good tips ...

I love the way this is written and the good tips and ideas. However, this book needed further editing, as there are some mix-ups. At the end of page 15 a new sentence begins -- but it does not continue on page 16 - instead a whole section is on that page. Instead, the sentence (and the rest of the section it goes with) picks up again 2 pages over. The sections of the chapter are simply mixed up. Additionally in the Resources section, the website recommended for buying cookie scoops no longer exists. These are silly mistakes that should have been caught before publication -- especially from as well-known a publishing house as Houghton Mifflin.

Now I am fearful

I bought this book because I fell in love with the idea of "Flourless [and butterless] Cocoa Cookies." I saw the image in the Amazon Preview and my mouth watered full of desire. The book turns out to be beautiful. Fabulous pictures everywhere (plenty) and interesting recipes that I would have liked to make... But when I began making them, not a single dish comes out well (at least of those I tried). The Flourless Cookies were an epic failure. Epic! Only after failing miserably, I looked up a few recipes online and, sure enough, nothing compares to the totally "off" measurements offered in McDowell's book. For example, the consensus seems to be that such recipe requires egg whites (makes sense! they'd allow the batter to hold shape). McDowell tells you to "lightly beat three eggs" at first, then add the cocoa and powdered sugar (cinnamon and vanilla) et voilà... one finds oneself with a runny batter that cannot be scooped or separated on a baking sheet into cookies. Sadly (because it is visually gorgeous), I returned this book.

Fear Not—-A Great Buy For All Bakers

I admit I hesitated buying this baking book because I am a baking cookbook junkie with a zillion titles who has been baking since the dinosaurs roamed the planet. Would this book teach me anything new? The answer is: “Hallelujah! Baking Bejeesus! Yes, yes, yes!” I learned new tips just in the introduction...yeah, how is it even possible??! The tone of the author is friendly and she is a thorough and well-informed teacher who explains why baking techniques work, gives the difficulty level for each recipe, throws in pro tips for those who want to take a recipe to the next level and at times suggests variations. All well and good. What about the recipes? Erin’s got that covered too. She provides creative twists on classics, giving you the comfort of familiar treats but adding that extra something special that makes your baked goods stand out and steal the show. For example, I just randomly opened my copy and there is a recipe “ Five-Spice Pumpkin Pie” followed by “Grapefruit Meringue Pie”. And even if you don’t want to stretch your culinary horizons in that new direction, I promise you will learn so much from her about baking that you will end up making better pie even when using your own favorite recipe. Not every recipe has a photo but the ones included are great. The layout of the cookbook is very user-friendly and visually appealing. I love how the quantity, the difficulty level and tips on making a baked good ahead and storing are given in red at the top right of the page for the start of every recipe. If you want to read about other bakers’ experiences using this cookbook, Food52 Baking Cookbook Club on Facebook baked their way through “Fearless Baking” in March 2018. Let’s just say these bakers had amazing photos and high praise for this special cookbook. Categories of recipes include: Cookies & Bars; Cakes; Pies & Tarts; Pastries; Custards & Creams; along with Resources. There is plenty to love. I thought “Sweet” by Ottolenghi would be my top favorite 2018 baking book but “The Fearless Baker” wins hands down❣️

Good, clear book with weight and volume measurements and really interesting recipes

I bought this book after flipping though it in a library and I got it for one reason: grapefruit meringue pie. I am of the firm belief that grapefruit is underrepresented in the world of desserts. The pie was gorgeous, and I’ve since made the doughnuts. I’m new to doughnuts, though not to baking, and her instructions were clear and easy. The recipes contain weights, which is a must for me. Very pleased and excited to try new recipes.

Recipes are inventive and fun; instructions are clear

The Fearless Baker is the baking book I have been waiting for. Recipes are inventive and fun; instructions are clear; pictures are beautiful. I really appreciate the author's approach to providing the reason/logic behind how/why the recipes work. Rather than just rote instruction following, I came away with more baking knowledge and now feel more empowered as a novice baker. Most importantly, all the recipes I have made so far have been delicious. I am very impressed by this cookbook, and recommend it for any burgeoning bakers trying to step their game up.

Learning a lot from this book

Learning how to bake correctly with predictable results is a challenge. I really appreciate how the offer breaks down the "why" it's done a certain way. Already tried a few recipes with excellent results. The author personalizes each recipe with anecdotes; this is a nice touch and is entertaining. I know I'll become a better baker if I follow her techniques and professional tips.

Disappointed

I watched her videos and was quite smitten with the adorable Erin. I have no idea why she publishes recipes that cannot possibly work, but once I follow instructions that prove to be flawed, I am done. Also, the book is full of recipes that are simply out of the ordinary, but not tempting. Nice paper weight, pretty pictures, I haven't looked at it for 6 months.

What I especially like is the author’s thorough explanation about why certain ingredients ...

A versatile baking book for both the novice and the expert, it has everything from classic recipes to new ideas that would inspire even the most seasoned baker. What I especially like is the author’s thorough explanation about why certain ingredients behave in specific ways. There is a lot of information in this cookbook. Plus beautiful pictures and clear, eloquent writing make it a gorgeous book to own!

For bakers and non-bakers alike!

Being a non-baker myself, I am really enjoying reading about the WHY of baking. The pictures are absolutely stunning, the explanations are easy to read, and it's nicely bound and presented. I know that "real" bakers use weight measurements of ingredients, and that always stresses me out, but normal human measurements are given alongside the weights for the less culinarily inclined. It's not an EASY cookbook; these are legitimate from-scratch recipes that you could find for purchase in a bakery, and there's a nice variety of more traditional, simple items like brownies, as well as more creative combinations of flavors and textures. I was so pleased I bought the book for several family members as Christmas gifts and all have been thrilled with it as well. My sister-in-law is a professional baker, and she was as impressed with the book as I was, which tells you that it really is accessible to any level and interest. Even if you never bake anything out of the book, you'll enjoy just reading and learning about everything that Ms. McDowell has to say!

Related Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magnasonic All-in-One High Resolution 22MP Film Scanner, Vibrant 2.4" LCD Screen, Converts 126KPK/135/110/super 8 Film, Slides & Negatives into Digital Photos, with Bonus 32GB SD Card (FS50)

KaHouen Cotton Buffalo Plaid Rugs, Buffalo Check Rug, 23.6''x35.4'', Checkered Plaid Rug, Check Plaid Area Rug for Kitchen/Bathroom/Laundry Room/Bedroom (Black and White Porch Rugs)

MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder